Listserv Acceptable Use Policy
The listserv is intended for plaintiff employment lawyers only and is therefore restricted to Regular, Government or Not-for-Profit, and Reciprocal Members of NELA/Illinois whose dues are current. Paraprofessionals and Law Students who are employed by listserv-eligible members may also participate. Associate Members are prohibited from using the listserv.
Your use of the listserv indicates your acceptance of the terms found in this Acceptable Use Policy ("AUP"). The AUP can be modified at any time, and your continued use of these services indicates your acceptance of the modifications.
NELA/Illinois cannot guarantee privacy of this listserv. Posting to the listserv should be done with this understanding. If privileged information is set forth on the listserv then it will likely lose its protected status and/or may be seen by third parties whom you would not want to see it. Do not use the listserv to transmit privileged or confidential information. Statements concerning sensitive topics should be carefully considered before posting.
The open and real-time nature of the listserv makes it impossible for us to vouch for the validity of any content posted. As such, we are not responsible for any messages posted or the consequences of following any advice offered within forum posts. The views expressed in the posts belong solely to their respective authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of NELA/Illinois. At all times, you remain solely responsible for anything found within your posts and agree to indemnify and hold NELA/Illinois, its officers and employees, harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of any material you submit, post to or transmit through the listserv.
NELA/Illinois does not actively monitor the listserv for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to NELA/Illinois’s attention, NELA/Illinois will take all appropriate action including deleting any message in our listserv and archives, revoking a member’s access to the listserv and the archives, and/or terminating membership of the offender. Furthermore, NELA-Illinois expressly reserves the right to take any other actions its deems appropriate.
The listserv was created for the exchange of ideas and to raise the level of knowledge in the plaintiff employment law community. While we encourage our members to offer opinions and insight, listserv users should refrain from attacking other persons.
By using these services and forums, you agree to the following:
• You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.
• You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, or attack anyone.
• You will not post obscene or pornographic materials unless it is directly related to a pending legal matter for which such information is necessary.
• You will not use these forums to violate any laws or to discuss illegal activities.
• You will not impersonate any person or entity, forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any posting, or collect or store personal data about other users.
• You will not intentionally post any copyrighted material, or link to any copyrighted material, not otherwise publicly available, unless that copyright is owned by you or by NELA/Illinois.
• You will not use these forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems.
• You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations, which are inappropriate and not useful to NELA-Illinois members.
• You will not knowingly post messages that are clearly outside of the stated topic of any forum or disrupt a forum by deliberately posting repeated irrelevant messages or copies of identical messages (also known as "flooding").
• You will not send private reply messages to the entire listserv. (i.e., messages such as “thanks for the information,” or “me, too”). Do this by using your email application's forwarding option and typing in or cutting and pasting in the email address of the individual to whom you want to respond.
• You will not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list, through the Listserv. Instead, email a board member or use the Web interface to change your email address, alter your settings, or to remove yourself.
• You will not forward any message from the listserv to any individual or entity who is not an active member of the listserv and you will not otherwise share, directly or indirectly, any information you receive or learn from the listserv with any individual or entity who is not an active member of the listserv, unless required by rules of professional conduct to do so. At no time will you ever distribute to or cause to be shared with, directly or indirectly, any member of the defense bar and/or any attorney opposing a NELA/Illinois member on a case any information obtained from the listserv.
• Communications should be oriented towards information useful to NELA-Illinois members. Issues that are not directly related to employment law should use the subject heading “Off Topic” followed by a short description.
• You will, if asked to do so by President or Board designee, cease posting any content, and/or links to content, deemed offensive, objectionable, or in poor taste.
Any alleged violations of this listerv policy will be handled consistent with the procedures set forth in the NELA-Illinois by-laws.